By McAluodo XKojwang
 
December 2 2011






Honestly, am honored to have passed through your hands. It is because of you that today I am a darling of the village. I owe you so much with regards to the DEGREE IN LITERATURE AND POLITICAL SCIENCE that I hold hereon. More than ever as a man, I have learnt the art of greatness through you. Well, most important perhaps is that I am not asking for your sympathy or empathy, I need it neither now nor hereafter, but am just conforming to the test of time with no condescending apologies to make till date. Life to me, as you and I attest, has not been any crystal stare. It has had landings in it, the rough road long travelled; the verbose sentiments and the never ending intellectual assistance are all a part of what has become the MC’ALUODO who is a poet today.

Permit me in a manner of speaking need be to say that from now on, I should at all times ascertain the act of self-reproach, only in the sense that the end result of the same benefits the qualification. To achieve this, one must at least if not most, be acquainted with the price of responsibility or should I say burden of proof in skills long acquired not without the fear that obligation carries with it the onus of greatness. 

So now, the days seem so near for the future has begun to unravel her maturity in success so to speak. Believe me or not, I now know better than being told that to have peace in oneself, we must know how to end a process, we must preach the gospel according to that which we in the like situation should a lone comprehend to explain its meaning to the world. In so doing, the question of unpalatable selfhood shall be dimed committal to the extent that we get to understand our dreams and re-dream as well. 

You and I feel that gone are the days when we listened to and sung war songs in fear of the battlefield and armed soldiers. All the same, the last time I spoke to Robert Greene, for those who believe in his teachings, he said that Life is an endless battle and to paraphrase, only the strong and brave soldiers will peruse through these pages at length.  I have decided to go that route and given that I am a life soldier in presence of this DEGREE, the victory of this war is mine since I have had to stay put, not a locked up slave.

I once wrote a few lines of my first poem…...I had a life, a life filled with distress, with nothing, but the courage of my friends. They gave me strength and hope, in return I gave my life and love, but now I am gone never to return. Why on earth did I say these? The tragedy of success is that with each day gone in huff, the Sun rises with its full and untapped experience that perturbs the sluggish Icons. For quite sometimes, I got holed in the same cocoon (worshipping the past). Thanks be to God, the wakeup call rescued me. With this in mind, and to paraphrase Achebe in his book, A MAN OF THE PEOPLE, as from today henceforth, I shall guard and watch my hard-won freedom jealously. Never again must I entrust my destiny and that of my family to the hybrid class of western educated and snobbish intellectuals who will not hesitate to sell their mothers for a mess pottage. Thank you and be blessed!
 ·  ·  · Share
    • Dan Asaka what a speech kudos the degree is well deserved
      December 2, 2011 at 10:10am · 
    • Akoth Veronica very nice.Congratulations!!
      December 2, 2011 at 8:53pm · 
    • Naphtaly Juma Juma CONGRATS Mr. Odili the man, that is the best of David the ALMNUS OF KANDEGE.
      December 3, 2011 at 1:54am · 
    • Elizabeth Aluodo May humility and simplicity most divine cover you Bro.Bless you.
      December 3, 2011 at 7:15am · 
    • Nancy Sherin what a speech! Congrats
      December 5, 2011 at 3:27pm · 
    • Nancy Sherin GOD BLESS U.
      December 5, 2011 at 3:28pm · 
    • Jere Ogonda-Asaka Congratulations r in order okeuwa!
      December 6, 2011 at 3:15am · 
    • Jackline Araya congrats nyathiwa hehe
      December 6, 2011 at 7:52am · 
    • Austine Oduor Oyata Aluodo iola!
      December 7, 2011 at 2:57am · 
    • Jerry Okungu Mc XK! That was thoughtful of you!
      December 8, 2011 at 2:32pm · 
    • Onyi-Lawi Amollo Keep it up, nyathi-nyamera!
      December 8, 2011 at 10:36pm ·  ·  1
    • Mark Rambara I don't believe u jaus tong.keep it up woud kisumo
      December 29, 2011 at 2:49pm · 
    • McÁluodo X KÓjwang' Thinking of LLM, any advise?
      7 hours ago · 
    • Dan Asaka Actualise your dream
      2 hours ago ·